The HERC/CUPA-HR Joint Meeting was a members-only meeting of 78 higher education, hospital, and research institute employers in Southern California. The attendees of this meeting included staff, academic, HR, and administrative representatives from these institutions. The meeting was scheduled for Friday, September 14, 2018 from 8:45a.m.-3:00p.m (registration began at 8:00 a.m.) at California State University, Fullerton, Titan Student Union- Pavilion A. Space is limited. Register before Friday, August 31st!
8:00am - 8:45am Registration, Breakfast, and Vendor/Sponsor Showcase
8:45am - 9:00am Opening Remarks and Host College Comments
9:00am - 10:30am Keynote Speaker-Driving Effective Organizational Change and Cultural Improvement
- Ryan Gottfredson, in his Driving Effective Organizational Change and Cultural Improvement Workshop, introduced mindsets and the power they have in improving your leadership, your work, and your organization.
10:30am - 10:45am Break and Vendor/Sponsor Showcase
10:45am - 11:30am HERC Community Portal Presentation (HERConnect) and Higher Ed Marketing Campaign
- Jennifer Park previewed HERConnect’s community platform for Dual Career, Search Committee Training and more via a live demo, and introduced a State-wide Comprehensive Marketing Campaign to promote California careers in higher education.
11:30am - 12:30pm Employment Legal Compliance Update
- Robert W. Conti covered legal topics of compliance recruiting, hiring, and employment processes. He presented case studies to help contextualize practices and give practical takeaway solutions to apply or share in your own work environments.
12:30pm - 1:15pm Lunch and Vendor Showcase
1:15pm - 1:30pm Vendor/Sponsor Raffle Drawings
1:30pm – 2:15pm How the Increasing Use of Big Data, Artificial Intelligence & Automation Affects Compliance
- Valerie Hoffman gave a closer look at the most popular software tools that enhance recruitment, their attractions for recruiters, and compliance challenges. Valerie offered her real-world experience helping organizations vet and consider these tools for an engaging, interactive presentation.
2:15pm – 2:30pm Break with Food and Beverage
2:30pm - 3:15pm Understanding and Overcoming Implicit Bias in Higher Education
- Alex Madva presented on the evidence for widespread implicit biases, where they come from and how they affect folks in higher education. Relations between implicit and explicit biases were highlighted as well as applicable institutional and individual reforms to counter biases.
3:15pm - 3:30pm Ending Remarks/Closing
Click on the more information link to access joint conference presentation materials.